NFU Local 362
November 14th, 2017
7:00 p.m. Red Dot Cafe, 5673 Osgoode Main St, Osgoode
Location: Red Dot Cafe, Osgoode 7 p.m.
Present from executive: Katie Ward, Marlyn O’Connor, Bernard Foley, Katrina Anderson, Larry Vingerhoeds, Nicole Jones
Present from members: Jack Hoogenboom, Dick Coote
Associate members: Karen Markle, Frank Poulin
Katie Ward chaired the meeting
1. Call to order. Katie Ward called the meeting at 7:11 p.m.
2. Approval of agenda as amended – Nicole motioned, Dick seconded. Carried.
3. Approval of October minutes – Marlyn motioned, Bernard seconded. Carried.
4. Business arising from minutes – Region 3 holding kitchen table meeting for the Local Food Advocates Network and Bernard is attending to represent us. The National Office received more convention bursary applications than we had funds to cover, Kingston Local and Lampton Local have pledged money towards this difference, can we put forth some money to cover this shortfall? Bernard motioned we contribute $400 to National Convention Bursary Fund for applicants from Local 362, Larry seconded, Carried. Marlyn will send the $400 to National Convention Bursary NFU via Katie Ward. Motion made for delegates to attend Convention – Nicole, Larry, Bernard and Don, with Jack as an alternate. Nicole Seconded, Carried. An amendment to the motion was put forth for the nominators of four delegates to replace Don with Ian Walker. Katrina motioned, Larry seconded, Carried. Dick motioned $400 maximum be allotted to each delegate to cover registration, the banquet and meals. Jack seconded, Carried. Marlyn motioned that a one day registration fee of $85 be covered for up to 5 people on a first come first serve basis. Seconded by Bernard, Carried.
5. President’s report – November National Board meeting took place and has now passed a Code of Conduct that will be signed by Board members when taking oath of office. The Convention Committee has spent time on bursary issues and working on the pre-convention social event. Katie participated in Regional Council 3 meetings. Katie did not make it to the Bring Food Home Conference, the agreed upon $450 was not expensed and remains in the bank account.
6. Treasurer’s report – Marlyn received the last payment from Regional. Katrina motioned to accept, Dick seconded, Carried.
7. Correspondence: Farm Show 2018 – We are signed up. Insurance certificate has been requested. Pallet wrapping has been postponed. “All Things Food” is a working group for local food – perhaps an opportunity for NFU to become involved. Katie and Katrina to draft an outreach email.
8. New business: Homestead Organics – Grain Handling Licence Suspended. Tom Manley has provided us with a written statement that has gone out to members. The NFU is offering support as needed. Bernard was approached by the SDG Woodlot Association to attend meeting November 28th, Bernard is unable to attend. Perhaps Larry will attend.
9. Guest Speaker – Ayla Fenton – Speaking regarding the Via Campesina Conference in Spain she attended. 2 days of youth assembly – approximately 100 attendees. This 2 week conference that happens every 4 years is the highest level of policy making. They spoke of land displacement, migration and finding solutions through agri-ecology and social relations through fair distribution.
10. Adjournment at – 9:32 p.m. Katrina motioned to adjourn.
11. Next Meeting December 12th, 2017 @ 7 p.m. Red Dot Cafe, Osgoode.